Staff Services Management Auditor
The California Office of the State Controller Malia M. Cohen seeks Staff Services Management Auditors! Career Opportunities are available now at CalCareers.
Looking for a job that you can feel passionate about? Looking for work in an inviting work environment? If you are interested in working in a fast-paced environment surrounded by enthusiastic and self-motivated people, then look no further! The Office of the State Controller (SCO) is the destination. Constitutional employer within the State of California
The following link outlines a summary of benefits available to state employees: https://www.calhr.ca.gov/Pages/California-State-Civil-Service-Employee-Benefits-Summary.aspx
Additional benefits of working at this location include:
This position has telework options available
- Free Parking
- Retirement Plan
- Student Loan Forgiveness
- Health Insurance
- Flexible Paid Leave
- Career Development
Description of the Division:
The Division of Audits is responsible for auditing all funds disbursed by the state and all claims presented for payment to SCO. Performs independent audits of government agencies that spend state funds. Assures the accuracy of local government claims and financial statements submitted to the state and federal government by annually reviewing and revising audit guidelines, reviewing audits performed by independent local auditors under these guidelines, and performing field audits of state and federal programs. Assists and advises local government officials in effective and uniform tax collecting procedures and internal fiscal controls. Audits highway users’ tax funds at local levels, and the allocation and apportionment of local property taxes.
Scope of Position:
Under close supervision provided by a Senior Management Auditor, the incumbent will learn and develop appropriate skills and methods related to a variety of engagements (audits, attestations, and/or reviews) for compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations. This is a training and development classification. Typically, the incumbent will perform tasks directed by a Staff Management Auditor (Specialist) or Associate Management Auditor. The incumbent may also personally perform the least complex engagements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
- Review and analyze the accounts and records of the auditee to determine compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Perform audits in an independent manner in order to fulfill contractual agreements; and statutory and constitutional responsibilities, using software such as Microsoft Office and TeamMate. Document engagement results using clear and concise language that supports work performed and related findings. Develop appropriate recommendations for corrective action based on competent findings.
- Learn and apply SCO’s Engagement Manual policies, specific program procedures, and protocols; professional auditing standards, and common auditing techniques.
- Assist in planning and completing assignments effectively within predetermined budgeted hours. Advise the auditor-in-charge and/or Senior Management Auditor of the engagement progress, potential issues, and other factors affecting the timeliness of the engagements and issuance of the engagement reports.
Staff Services Management Auditor
||California State Controller's Office
|Posting Start Date:
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed. Application must include “to” and “from” employment dates (m/d/y), hours per week, and prior employer contact information including contact number. Applications received without this information may not be considered for this position.
The selected candidate considered for the advertised position will be required to undergo a fingerprint clearance and any offer of employment will be contingent upon live scan fingerprint results.
The Division is actively seeking multiple Staff Services Management Auditors and is looking to expand our team of dynamic auditors. This is your chance to join a vibrant team with a tremendous amount of variation in audit activities.
Applications received without the following required documents may not be considered.
- Evidence of graduation from college or documentation indicating that all graduation requirements have been met
- College transcripts showing completion of the minimum accounting units required for this position
- Travel will be required to conduct audits, meet with auditees, or attend meetings/conferences.
- The incumbent is required to have a valid driver license.
- High degree of initiative; self-motivated.
- Strong work ethic and integrity.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and willingness to learn.
- Firm foundation in accounting knowledge, theory, and practices, and in applying audit procedures in accordance with professional standards.
- Ability to use good judgment when analyzing data and situations, drawing sound conclusions, presenting recommendations, and taking effective actions.
- Possession of excellent organization, time management, customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft applications (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access).
||This listing expires on: 12/21/2023