Staff Management Auditor (Specialist)
The California Office of the State Controller Malia M. Cohen seeks Staff Management Auditors! Career Opportunities are are available now at CalCareers.
Looking for a job that you can feel passionate about? Looking for work in an inviting work environment? If you are interested in working in a fast-paced environment surrounded by enthusiastic and self-motivated people, then look no further! The Office of the State Controller (SCO) is the destination. Constitutional employer within the State of California
The following link outlines a summary of benefits available to state employees: https://www.calhr.ca.gov/Pages/California-State-Civil-Service-Employee-Benefits-Summary.aspx
Additional benefits of working at this location include:
- Free Parking
- Retirement Plan
- Student Loan Forgiveness
- Health Insurance
- Flexible Paid Leave
- Career Development
This position has telework options available
Description of the Division:
The Division of Audits is responsible for auditing all funds disbursed by the state and all claims presented for payment to SCO. Performs independent audits of government agencies that spend state funds. Assures the accuracy of local government claims and financial statements submitted to the state and federal government by annually reviewing and revising audit guidelines, reviewing audits performed by independent local auditors under these guidelines, and performing field audits of state and federal programs. Assists and advises local government officials in effective and uniform tax collecting procedures and internal fiscal controls. Audits highway users’ tax funds at local levels, and the allocation and apportionment of local property taxes.
Scope of Position:
Under general direction provided by the Audit Manager (Senior Management Auditor), the Staff Management Auditor (Specialist) will perform at the advanced journey level in leading, working with a group of audit teams, or performing complex, difficult, and sensitive engagements (audits, attestations, and/or reviews) in an independent and proficient manner. A Staff Management Auditor (Specialist) may be assisted by Associate Management Auditors and/or Staff Services Management Auditors in the performance of engagements in a single agency or a small group of related agencies. The incumbent also may be assigned to other projects within the division that require an advanced journey level auditor skill set.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
- Perform audits in an independent and proficient manner in order to fulfill contractual agreements; and statutory and constitutional responsibilities, using software such as Microsoft Office and TeamMate.
- Ensure that the audit work is properly supported and sufficient to support audit findings, and that it meets the requirements of SCO’s Engagement Manual and professional auditing standards.
- Plan the audit to ensure that the audit objectives are met and that internal control is properly evaluated.
- Determine hours required and estimated completion dates for each step in the engagement planning memorandum in accordance with the SCO’s Engagement Manual and professional auditing standards.
- Plan and complete assigned audits effectively within budgeted hours.
Internal Control Evaluation:
- Evaluate auditee’s system of internal control significant to the audit objectives, and make recommendations, where appropriate, as required by the audit scope in accordance with the SCO’s Engagement Manual and professional auditing standards.
- Perform expanded testing of internal control as deemed necessary.
- Recommend changes or updates to audit programs or procedures to the auditor-in-charge or Senior Management Auditor. Inform the Senior Management Auditor of the audit progress, audit problems, new audit areas, and other factors affecting audit operation and timeliness of reports.
- Provide technical advice to management concerning audit report preparation and audit finding presentation to ensure that the SCO’s Engagement Manual and professional auditing standards are followed.
- Provide the field audit supervisor with information for evaluating staff performance.
Act in Lead Role:
- Plan, coordinate and assign audit tasks to each team member.
- Train and assist auditors in developing audit findings and recommendations.
- Conduct meetings and discuss audit issues and findings.
- Review audit working papers for clarity and accuracy.
- Conduct research of complex audit issues utilizing various resources such as state and federal law, state administrative procedures, codes, legislation, etc.
- Coordinate with the Senior Management Auditor in initiating changes to the audit programs and work papers structure/content as a result of legislation, regulations, state and federal laws, legal opinions, etc.
- Perform other special projects as required, including assisting the Senior Management Auditor in drafting legal opinions, budget change proposals, and legislative bill analysis.
Staff Management Auditor (Specialist)
||California State Controller's Office
|Posting Start Date:
Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed. Application must include “to” and “from” employment dates (m/d/y), hours per week, and prior employer contact information including contact number. Applications received without this information may not be considered for this position.
The selected candidate considered for the advertised position will be required to undergo a fingerprint clearance and any offer of employment will be contingent upon live scan fingerprint results.
Applicants with disabilities who need reasonable accommodations, such as a Sign Language interpreter, a reader, or assistance attending an interview please call (916) 323-8579.
The Division is actively seeking multiple Staff Management Auditors (Specialist) and is looking to expand our team of dynamic auditors. This is your chance to join a vibrant team with a tremendous amount of variation in audit activities.
In addition to the application, candidates must provide a resume and a statement of qualifications (SOQ). The SOQ should be clear, concise, and typewritten for ease of reading. The SOQ must address your experience, education, and skills that demonstrate your qualifications. The SOQ must be no more than one page in length, single-spaced, with one-inch margins, in 12-point font, and on a letter-sized document (8½ x 11).
A notation or reference to other materials such as a resume or applications may not be considered and may not substitute for the SOQ.
- Travel will be required to conduct audits, meet with auditees, or attend meetings/conferences.
- The incumbent is required to have a valid driver license.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting principles and applying audit standards in accordance with professional auditing standards.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in response to changing workload and priorities.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities and coordinate concurrent assignments efficiently.
- Ability to perform efficiently and effectively under deadlines and pressure.
- Exemplary organizational skills, with an ability to prioritize workloads and exercise independent initiatives when appropriate.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- High degree of initiative; self-motivated.
- Strong work ethic and integrity.
||This listing expires on: 11/15/2023