Associate Management Auditor
The Division of Audits is responsible for auditing all funds disbursed by the state and all claims presented for payment to SCO. Performs independent audits of government agencies that spend state funds. Assures the accuracy of local government claims and financial statements submitted to the state and federal government by annually reviewing and revising audit guidelines, reviewing audits performed by independent local auditors under these guidelines, and performing field audits of state and federal programs. Assists and advises local government officials in effective and uniform tax collecting procedures and internal fiscal controls. Audits highway users’ tax funds at local levels, and the allocation and apportionment of local property taxes.
Associate Management Auditor
||California State Controller's Office
|Posting Start Date:
This position has telework options available
Scope of Position:
Under general direction provided by the Audit Manager (Senior Management Auditor), the Associate Management Auditor will perform at the first full journey person of the series in completing complex and difficult engagements (audits, attestations, and/or reviews) in an independent and proficient manner. An Associate Management Auditor may be assisted by Staff Services Management Auditors and other Associate Management Auditors in the performance of engagements in a single agency or a small group of related agencies. The incumbent also may be assigned to other projects within the division that require a first full journey level auditor skill set.
- This position typically requires travel averaging 35% annually and may include overnight travel. The travel percentage may be adjusted based on audit engagement and/or division needs.
- The incumbent is required to have a valid driver license
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
- Perform audits in an independent and proficient manner in order to fulfill contractual agreements; and statutory and constitutional responsibilities, using software such as Microsoft Office and TeamMate.
- Ensure that the audit work is properly supported and sufficient to support audit findings, and that it meets the requirements of SCO's Engagement Manual and professional auditing standards.
- Determine hours required and estimated completion dates for each step in the engagement planning memorandum in accordance with the SCO's Engagement Manual and professional auditing standards.
- Plan and complete assigned audits effectively within budgeted hours.
- Evaluate auditee's system of internal control significant to the audit objectives, and make recommendations, where appropriate, as required by the audit scope in accordance with the SCO's Engagement Manual and professional auditing standards.
- Perform expanded testing of internal control as deemed necessary.
- Recommend changes or updates to audit programs or procedures to the auditor-in-charge or Senior Management Auditor.
- Inform the Senior Management Auditor or auditor-in-charge of the audit progress, audit problems, new audit areas, and other factors affecting audit operation and timeliness of reports.
- Provide the field audit supervisor with information for evaluating staff performance.
- Coordinate and assign audit tasks to each team member.
- Train and assist auditors in developing audit findings and recommendations.
- Conduct meetings and discuss audit issues and findings.
- Review audit working papers for clarity and accuracy.
- Knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS), local government operations, and internal controls.
- Ability to write clear, concise, and convincing audit reports, analyses, and correspondence.
- Ability to use good judgment when analyzing data and situations, drawing sound conclusions, making recommendations, and taking effective actions.
- Plan, organize, and lead a team of auditors to carry out ad-hoc projects.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Be flexible and can work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Positive attitude and strive for excellence.
- Strong skills in utilizing various Microsoft Office software applications, including EWP software such as TeamMate®.
||This listing expires on: 7/9/2023