Staff Management Auditor (Specialist)
Division of Audits (Division) determines the legality and accuracy of all claims against the State through the performance of pre- and post- payment audits. The Division assures the accuracy of local government claims and financial statements submitted to the state and federal government by annually reviewing and revising audit guidelines, reviewing audits performed by independent local auditors under these guidelines, and performing audits of a variety of state and federal programs. Through audit activity, the Division identifies improper expenditures of state and federal funds.
Staff Management Auditor (Specialist)
||California State Controller's Office
|Posting Start Date:
This position has telework options available.
Scope of Position:
Under the general direction of the Quality Assurance and Training (QA&T) Manager, the incumbent will perform at the advanced journey level, various technical matters within the functions of the Quality Assurance Unit within the Division of Audits (Division). The incumbent will serve as a subject matter expert by providing technical consultations on audit issues, conducting quality monitoring of reports issued by the Division, and developing policies and procedures for performance of audits in accordance with professional auditing standards.
- This position may require travel averaging 25% annually and may include overnight travel. The travel percentage may be adjusted based on the quality assurance or division needs.
- The incumbent is required to have a valid driver’s license.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
Quality Assurance Monitoring
- Develop an annual quality assurance (QA) review plan, scope of work, identify and select samples of engagements for review/monitoring; develop QA review checklist and protocols.
- Serve as a lead auditor by planning and coordinating the QA reviews of engagement reports and working papers to determine compliance with the Division’s policies, procedures, and professional auditing standards. The review will be conducted prior to or after the issuance of the report.
- Conduct QA reviews, summarize review results and provide recommendations for corrective actions; conduct entrance and exit meetings with program management to present the overall results and conclusions of the QA review.
- Develop and update engagement checklists and auditing tools and disseminate them to auditors and management; maintain the Quality Assurance SharePoint page ensuring published information is current and accurate.
- Provide technical consultative services to the Division management and auditors concerning the interpretations and applications of professional auditing standards or on complex accounting and auditing topics.
- Provide newsletters and guidance on new auditing standards and develop or revise auditing tools to meet the new audit standards.
- Prepare QA Alerts on emerging audit issues/topics for dissemination to audit staff.
Research and Analysis
- Analyze proposed legislative bills related to CPA licensing; prepare conclusions and recommendations on the impact of the proposed legislations.
- Research and procure guides and auditing publications for the Division’s library; and maintain inventory of references.
- Compile and disseminate to Division staff, monthly periodicals on accounting and auditing issues.
Quality Assurance Supports
- Assist in developing and revising QA manuals, including Engagement Manuals, and Electronic Workpaper Protocols.
- Assist in evaluating internal policies related to engagement performance and report quality.
- Conduct customer surveys and summarize results for the Division’s senior management.
- Perform other ad-hoc projects within the QA&T units, assist with training activities, and serve as a backup TeamMate subject matter expert.
- Act as a CPA Coordinator for CPA candidates.
- Prepare certification documents for submission to the Board of Accountancy, including verification of qualifying experiences, and any related correspondences.
- Update and maintain CPA certification inventory, including forms, and policies and procedures.
||This listing expires on: 7/9/2023