Please note that all jobs are managed by the member office posting the position, not by NASACT.
Division of Audits determines the legality and accuracy of all claims against the State through the performance of pre- and post- payment audits. The Division assures the accuracy of local government claims and financial statements submitted to the state and federal government by annually reviewing and revising audit guidelines, reviewing audits performed by independent local auditors under these guidelines, and performing audits of a variety of state and federal programs. Through audit activity, the Division identifies improper expenditures of state and federal funds.
||California State Controller's Office
|Posting Start Date:
Scope of Position:
Under close supervision provided by a Principal Claim Auditor, the incumbent will conduct technical prepayment audits of claim schedules and vouchers submitted by state departments for payment from the State Treasury. The audits will consist of examining paper claims, vouchers within the Fi$Cal system, and supporting documentation to determine if:
- proper funds and appropriation exist and may be charged;
- there is sufficient authority for incurring the financial obligation; and
- the expenditure is within the statutory function of the agency and is legal in accordance with the State Constitution, Statutes, applicable court decisions and Attorney General opinions and complies with terms and conditions of the applicable contract(s).
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Candidates must perform the following functions with or without reasonable accommodations.)
- Audit claims to ensure payments are legal, valid and proper for payment from the State Treasury.
- Verify that legal authority to incur financial obligations exists and are proper in regard to the agency’s programs.
- Verify claims are charged against the proper appropriations and comply with contract terms, California Department of Human Resources (CalHR), and other regulatory and statutory provisions.
- Verify claims are supported by proper evidence and documentation.
- Validate work was performed or goods delivered.
- Perform research using the State Constitution, State and Federal statutes, opinions of the Courts and Attorney General, California Administrative Code, and SCO opinions.
- Review grants, contracts, and contract amendments.
- Prepare contract briefs of provisions for entry into a contracts database for use in reviewing claims for payment of contracts.
- Post contract payments to the contracts database to ensure that total payments claimed do not exceed total contract amount.
- Answer questions that arise in the course of reviewing claims for legality and validity of payment.
- Prepare summaries of claim corrections for errors for lead auditor review.
- Prepare claim correction and claim rejection letters to agencies explaining reasons for correction or rejection.
||This listing expires on: 6/20/2023